San Diego, Calif., May 21, 2014 – Although most Americans know that a variety of items around the house, like clothes and jewelry, can quickly translate into cash, many don’t realize they’re wasting space and leaving money on the table by hoarding their old electronic devices. According to survey results released today by ecoATM, (www.ecoatm.com), the nationwide network of automated electronics recycling kiosks, the worst offenders may in fact be younger device owners (18-49 years old), who are more likely than their older counterparts (those over age 50) to be guilty of stockpiling obsolete smartphones (25 percent versus 9 percent) and tablets (13 percent versus 5 percent).
More importantly, the survey revealed that users of all ages hold on to their old gadgets, while less than half of device owners know that items like smartphones (45 percent), cell phones (44 percent) and MP3 players (34 percent) can translate into a profit. Even fewer have actually sold their outdated tablets (10 percent), cell phones (9 percent) and MP3 players (7 percent), while only 24 percent have tried recycling their unused small electronics. Commonly, users simply store old devices around the house once they upgrade to new models. Instead of being recycled or cashed in, gadgets are left to clutter the house, with the most popular locations being closets (53 percent), boxes (42 percent) and junk drawers (41 percent).
“We know that Americans believe in the value of recycling, but there’s a disconnect between believing and doing, as many don’t know where to recycle their old cell phones and tablets,” said Mark Bowles, founder and chief marketing officer of ecoATM. “Recycling with ecoATM is a great way to ensure that your retired device does the most good for you and the environment.”
While it’s well known that device owners replace their mobile phones frequently, they also seem to get attached to old gadgets. When asked why people are hanging on to old devices, many point to sentimental reasons – in fact, far more feel nostalgic (37 percent) than overwhelmed (23 percent) or embarrassed (15 percent) by the outdated items collecting dust at home. Again, it’s the same younger group of device owners that feels most attached to their older gadgets with 42 percent stating that they associate feelings of nostalgia with these devices (versus 29 percent of those over 50).
Additional highlights of ecoATM’s consumer survey include:
ecoATM’s approximately 900 kiosks, which are located in shopping malls and select retailers nationwide, recycle consumer electronics – including mobile phones, tablets and MP3 players – to keep them out of landfills or from languishing in desk drawers, and provide instant cash payments as an incentive to recycle.
ecoATM kiosks accept devices of any era or condition and use a worldwide auction system to offer consumers competitive prices depending upon condition, which can include a few hundred dollars for newer smartphones. Some very old phones may not be worth anything, but with ecoATM, consumers can rest assured knowing that they will be responsibly recycled. ecoATM is able to find a second life for 75 percent of devices collected. For the remaining 25 percent, ecoATM partners with certified e-waste reclamation facilities to ensure those materials are responsibly reused and recycled.
For additional survey findings or to request high-resolution images or b-roll of ecoATM kiosks, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about ecoATM or to find a kiosk, visit www.ecoatm.com.
*Methodology Note: The ecoATM Device Survey was conducted by Kelton Research between March 10 and March 17, 2014, and polled 1,018 nationally representative Americans aged 18 and older who own a smartphone, cell phone, MP3 player or tablet.
ecoATM, a subsidiary of Outerwall Inc. (Nasdaq: OUTR), is the first company to create an automated self-serve kiosk system to buy back old phones, tablets or MP3 players for cash. ecoATM uses patented, advanced machine vision, electronic diagnostics, and artificial intelligence to evaluate electronics. ecoATM’s eCycling stations provide a convenient trade-in solution with features that validate sellers’ identities and deter the sale of stolen phones, and the company is known for its collaboration with national, state, and local law-enforcement groups in combating mobile phone theft through innovative use of technology and education
ecoATM holds both Responsible Recycling (R2) and ISO14001 certification, confirming the company’s commitment to maintaining the highest standards of electronics recycling, as well as ISO27001 certification for information and personal data security. See https://www.ecoatm.com/how-it-works/ a video of how an ecoATM kiosk works. For more information, visit www.ecoatm.com and for more information about Outerwall Inc. please visit www.outerwall.com.
Edelman for ecoATM