ecoOffice

About ecoATM®

Headquartered in San Diego, California, ecoATM Inc. is the only automated kiosk that collects unwanted or used cell phones, tablets and MP3 players for instant cash. ecoATM is a member of the Outerwall, Inc. family. While American's knowledge of, and interest in, responsible electronics recycling is increasing, there will still be nearly 400 million idle phones in the U.S. at the end of 2014. According to the EPA, the rate at which phones are recycled is less than 20 percent. ecoATM is committed to increasing the percentage of cell phones, tablets and MP3 players that are recycled by providing Americans with an easy, safe and convenient solution to address the e-waste problem.

Who Buys Cell Phones for Instant Cash? ecoATM!

ecoATM kiosks accept devices of any era or condition and use a worldwide auction system to offer consumers competitive prices – ranging from a few dollars for older models to a few hundred for newer smartphones – depending upon condition. We buy back cell phones and other mobile devices in most transactions. Sometimes very old devices may not be worth anything, but we still accept them for responsible processing.

Recycling with ecoATM

ecoATM is able to find a second life for 75 percent of devices collected. For the remaining 25 percent, ecoATM partners with R2 certified e-waste reclamation facilities to ensure those materials are responsibly reused and recycled.

ecoATM provides a safe, secure way for consumers to recycle used electronic devices, and has implemented extensive security features and processes to deter the sale of stolen devices. ecoATM sets the standard for the highest level of transparency and cooperation with law enforcement.

As of July 30, 2014, ecoATM had approximately 1,100 kiosks located in shopping malls and select large retailers nationwide. The kiosks provide cash payments as an incentive for consumers to recycle. In addition to the cash consumers earn by recycling their devices through ecoATM, we’ve collected three million devices. This has enabled the recovery or reuse of:

  • 879,000 pounds of devices – nearly enough plastics, metals and potentially toxic materials to equal the weight of two Boeing 747-400 series airplanes
  • 105,000 pounds of copper – equal to the amount of copper in 72 Liberty Bells
  • 2,316 pounds of silver – equal to the weight of four baby grand pianos
  • 225 pounds of gold – enough to create 16 FIFA World Cup trophies (and still have extra!)

Awards


The Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) convenes leaders to turn ideas into action. CGI Commitments to Action represent bold new ways that CGI members address global challenges—implemented through new methods of partnership and designed to maximize impact. Commitments can be small or large, global or local. No matter the size or scope, commitments help CGI members translate practical goals into meaningful and measurable results.